Note: I posted 5 different posts today in order to catch up with the last 5 days of activities. There are lots of pictures and you probably will have to click "older posts" at the bottom of the page to see all 5 posts from today. I labeled the last four days of the hike 1 of 4, 2 of 4 etc so you know where you are at in the posts. Hope you enjoy!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since we finished the way a day early we could now spend the next day at the Ice Factor. The Ice Factor is an activity center in Kinlochleven that is mainly known for its ice climbing wall which is considered the largest in the world. They also have 3 different rock climbing areas that are designated by skill. Outside they have a ropes course and huge swing that you can ride on too. And of course a pub.
After the 16 miler the day before Chad and I were not really feeling up to doing much there. Dad was kinda moping around because he wanted to climb the ice wall. I gave in and said fine, I would do it if he wanted too. Chad couldn't be left out so he reluctantly agreed to climb too. At 11:30 we were in the ice wall room getting our instructions. We were taught how to use and attempt to trust your crampons (which is really hard to do) and how to use ice picks properly. After a short instruction we tied in and Chad and I made the first climb up the small wall. We caught on to technique quickly but ice climbing is very different from anything we have ever done that we were using muscles that normally don't get used as often. It was physically exhausting but a hell of a lot of fun.
Since Dad had to belay for Chad on his first run up, they switched places so Dad could climb and I got to try the small wall a second time. My second time up was very quick and I almost beat Dad up the wall and he had a head start. Dad did well, but was using more arms than legs and wore himself out. We all were offered to try to large wall so Chad and I took the challenge and Dad opted out. I will admit that I was pretty reluctant but decided to anyway. We both made it almost to the top but our arms were shot by the time we made it nearly to the top and had to come down. We needed to be using more legs than arms too.
 |
| Getting our boots and crampons on |
 |
| Getting ready to go in! |
 |
| Practicing the use of our crampons and moving horizontally along the wall |
 |
| First attempt up the small wall |
 |
| Kari nearly to top of the small wall and Dad is being tied in, Chad is on belay |
 |
| Starting up the large wall with instructor Bex on belay |
 |
| Chad going up the large wall, Dad on belay and instructor Connor keeping an eye on things |
Even though we didn't want to do it at first we are really glad we did. It was an awesome experience and I am glad I don't live in Kinlochleven because I would be climbing that ice wall everyday and spending too much money!
After ice climbing we jumped on a bus and headed in to Fort William to our B &B. Which is neat old place that was a rectory and choir school for the local Episcopal Church at one time. We have had a good day walking around FW and will take a ride on Jacobite Train tomorrow afternoon that takes us to see more great views of Scotland.
 |
| St Andrews Guest House, originally a rectory and choir school |
No comments:
Post a Comment